- The information we collect
- What we do with the information
- How we store the information
- How someone can get their information removed from our services
- Who we share the information with and why
- Who they can contact for more information
- Most importantly, how we handle information from minors under the age of 13
Our Commitment to Privacy
This policy does not apply to websites or services or practices of companies that Minga doesn’t own or control, such as third party services you might access through links or other features on the Service. These other services have their own privacy policies, and we encourage you to review them before providing them with personal information.
Protection of privacy is especially important to us. Minga respects and follows the rules and expectations set forth in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) that went into effect in the United States on April 21, 2000. COPPA aims to protect the online privacy of children under the age of 13 (“child” or “children”) by restricting how much Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is collected and by requiring parental consent for activities that make use of PII. Additionally, Minga respects the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIDEDA) of Canada and the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) of British Columbia, Canada. Both PIDEDA and PIPA more generally outline how organizations collect, use and disclose personal information in the course of commercial business. For more information about COPPA and generally protecting children’s online privacy, please visit OnGuard Online. For more information about PIDEDA, please visit the Government of Canada. For more information on PIPA, please visit the Government of British Columbia.
What information does Minga collect and how is it used?
Minga is aimed at youth 13 years or older. Accounts are created on the Service by an account administrator. New members are invited to join the Service only after an account has been created.
We collect the following account information:
- First and last name: Used by our “Kudos” service for awarding members points and reinforcing positive actions
- Email: Used to uniquely identify each member in the Service and to help reset lost account credentials
- Username and password: Used to create unique credentials for logging into the Service.
Through the service members are able to. Al
Through the Service members are able to post text and share photos, also known as User Generated Content (UGC). All UGC is reviewed and moderated by Minga to ensure it upholds the spirit of our Service and does not include any personally identifying information (PII). Approved UGC is made available to all members of the Service and never privately between two or more members. We believe private, or group sharing promotes negative online behaviour. We encourage you to review the rules for posting content set forth in the “User Conduct” section of our Terms of Service.
Through the course of using the Service we will automatically collect generic usage information as set forth in the “Information collected automatically” section below. We use this information to provide the Service to the member, for security and safety purposes, or as required by law or to enforce our Terms.
If we discover that we have collected information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA, we will take appropriate steps to either delete the information, or immediately seek consent for that collection. We do not disclose any personal information about members to third parties, except to service providers necessary to provide the Service, as required by law, or to protect the security of the Service or other members.
How long does Minga hold on to information?
If a Member’s account is inactive for twelve months or more, Minga will automatically delete the account, including all personal information provided by the account or collected by Minga from the child.
Members who wish to have their account deleted can use a link provided in the Service to permanently remove their account from the Service.
Information Collected Automatically
Like most internet-based services, we (or our service providers) may automatically receive and log generic information about you when you use the Service. For example, this could include the frequency and duration of your visits to the Service, the browser you use, and the platform of the device you use.
The technologies and information we automatically collect may include:
- Cookies and other similar technologies: We (or our service providers) may use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our Service including, clear GIFs (also known as “web beacons”), “tags”, “scripts”, and “cookies”. We use both session and persistent cookies: a session cookie disappears after you close your browser; a persistent cookie remains after you close your browser (although it can be removed) and may be used by your browser to identify you on subsequent visits to the Service. We may also use, collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5). Like many services, Minga uses these technologies to tailor the Service for you, and to help the Service work better for you – for example, by remembering recent search choices.
- Device information: We may collect device-specific information such as your operating system type, hardware version, screen resolution, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how the Service is performing and improve Minga for you on your particular device.
- Log information: Like most online services, when you use our Service, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs. Examples include things like:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your activity on the Service, and the frequency and duration of your visits to the Service.
- IP Address
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
This information helps us make decisions about what we should work on next – for example, by showing which features are most (or least!) popular.
- Location information: When you use our Service we may collect and process information about your geographic location based on your IP address. We do this to derive amalgamated anonymized information about how well (or not!) our Services is used in certain geographic areas. We do not associate precise geolocation data with a child’s personal information and will not track the specific location of a child at a given moment in time.
How does Minga use the automatic information it collects?
First and foremost, you should know that Minga does not sell or rent any of your personal information to any third party for any purpose – including for advertising or marketing purposes. We use the information we collect to provide the best experience. More specifically, this information is used to:
- Provide and improve the Service, for example by developing new products and features, or by reporting errors within the service.
- Respond to your requests for information or customer support.
- Customize the Service for you, and improve your experience with it.
- Most crucially, to protect our community by making sure the Service remains safe and secure.
Will Minga share any information it collects?
- Analytics Services: We use analytics services, including mobile analytics software, to help us understand and improve how the Service is being used. These services may collect, store and use information in order to help us understand things like how often you use the Service, the events that occur within the application, usage, performance data, and from where the application was downloaded. A list of all of our third party services is included below.
- Aggregated Information and Non-Identifying Information: We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly, including with users, partners or the press in order to, for example, demonstrate how the Service is used, spot industry trends, or to provide marketing materials for Minga. Any aggregated information shared this way will not contain any personal information.
- Legal Requirements: We may disclose personal information if we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to comply with the law, such as complying with a subpoena or other legal process. We may need to disclose personal information where, in good faith, we think it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Minga, our employees, our community, or others, or to prevent violations of our Terms of Service or other agreements. This includes, without limitation, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection or responding to government requests.
- With your consent: Other than the cases above, we won’t disclose your personal information for any purpose unless you consent to it. Additionally, as discussed above, we will never sell or rent your personal information to advertisers or other third parties.
How does Minga protect and secure my information?
Your Minga account is protected by a password. You can help us protect against unauthorized access to your account by keeping your password secret at all times.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We work hard to protect the Service, and we maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure of or access to personal information. In particular:
- Our engineering team is dedicated to keeping your personal information secure
- We periodically review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems
- We continually develop and implement features to keep your personal information safe – for example, when you enter any information anywhere on the Service, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL) by default
- We ensure passwords are stored and transferred securely using encryption and salted hashing
- We automatically delete inactive accounts after a specific period of time, as per our retention policy, described in the “How Long Does Minga Hold On to Information?” section
Although we make concerted good faith efforts to maintain the security of personal information, and we work hard to ensure the integrity and security of our systems, no practices are 100% immune, and we can’t guarantee the security of information. Outages, attacks, human error, system failure, unauthorized use or other factors may compromise the security of user information at any time. If we learn of a security breach, we will attempt to notify you electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that you can take appropriate protective steps; for example, we may post a notice on our homepage (minga.io) or elsewhere on the Service, and may send email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
What communications will I receive from Minga?
If you registered on Minga we may send you messages and updates regarding your account, including privacy and security notices, updates regarding the Service, and information regarding products, features or services from Minga. If you have an account with us, we’ll also use your email address to contact you for customer service purposes, or for any legal matters that arise in the course of business.
If you download and install the app on an Apple or Android device, you will optionally receive push notifications for activity related to your account that occurs while you are not using the Service.
How will Minga notify me of changes to this policy?
Third Party Service Providers
It’s important to us that we keep your information safe and secure. To best provide our Services, and keep your information safe, we work with a few other companies. These companies will only have access to the information they need to provide the Change Gamers service.
Here is a list of the essential service providers we work with, and their respective privacy policies to provide a great Minga experience.
- Google Analytics for analytics on our website
- MailChimp for sending email from our app
- Two Hat Security for moderating and validating usernames
- Watson from IBM for moderating and validating user generated content
- Perspective from Google for moderating and validating user generated content
- Sight Engine for moderating and validating user generated content
How can I contact Minga with questions?
Suite 300, 1353 Ellis Street
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer